February 19, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

Over Labor Day weekend we went with some of our friends up to Yellowstone. I'd never been so it was quite the adventure. Since it's been so long ago I decided just to post a few pictures instead of trying to remember all the details - but it was fun and we're so grateful we have such great friends that will let us tag along with them!
I think that there were five cows (female elk) that were along the bank that day, but this is one of my favorite pictures of all the ones that Mike took of them.


Our little friend the black bear! We were driving across a bridge and noticed that everyone was pulled over with their binoculars. So what did we do? We joined them :) It took us a while to figure out what people were looking at. (A few people we asked were very misinformed by the way. This is definitely not a "HUGE GRIZZLY BEAR.") Apparently this little guy had been grazing on berries for most of the day and he didn't even mind us watching him.

Don't worry - we weren't actually this close. (But it does make me wonder a little bit what I would do if I woke up and one was standing this far away from my tent door... ) Seeing so many buffalo that weekend made me wonder what it would've been like to see the massive herds of them that the Native Americans used to hunt. What a remarkable creature.
This is us in front of a mud pot/geyser. (Mike says they were geysers - I'm leaning more towards mud pots...)

HULA HOOP! Someone put a sticker on the pedestrian sign. We thought that it was worthy of a picture. :)


Buffalo crossing!

Attempt 1: How long does it take to get a good picture? 





Attempt 2: Getting even!

Attempt 3: Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment